This blog began with noticing, and writing about, patterns of community. The phrase is derived from Christopher Alexander’s “pattern language.” These patterns were much on my mind then because I believed — and believe it still — that “true community” is fundamentally outside of Babylon.
Here is the listing, so far. If any others pop up, I will add them here. At the moment, I am not thinking of any more, but rather through this list aim to finish one of the blog’s series, so I can concentrate on the other emergent threads — power (hoarded and shared), alternatives to resistance, what the heck happened way back when to saddle us with domination-civ, land care, the emergent wisdom process, and of course, tapping into the underground railroad out of Babylon.
- Start with relationships
- Put main energies into people, not property, institutions or procedures
- DIY with others
- The band as a basic human unit
- Community emerges from specific acts of caring
- By their fruits ye shall know your true kin (awareness – resilience – trustworthiness)
- Embodied action is what counts
- Common outlook yes, ideology and believism no
- Pro-social cooperation (feeding energy to pro-social people and withdrawing it from anti-socials)
- Vision (what are we hoping for?)
- ‘Dozen or under’ small “affinity cluster” as the basic component of communities
- Hiving off keeps communities within optimal size
- Healthy group boundaries as important as healthy personal boundaries
- Groovin’ together; having fun
- Nestedness of social structures
- Wisdom process and emergent intelligence to guide communities
- Mutual aid (helping each other off the treadmill and into real livelihoods)
- Creative patterns of gender-relations that please both
- Spiritual practice as community glue
- Community labor?